N00b alert : error when flashing using esptool.py

Posted on
  • I have the ESP8266 Breakout (HUZZAH) board from Adafruit. Been reading on how to get Espruino flashed onto the board. I'm on OSX so just running through the *nix instructions and got the latest esptool.py repo cloned and installed, according to the guide at;

http://www.espruino.com/ESP8266_Flashing­

So the command I'm running is follows;

/Volumes/Data/Development/github/esptool­/esptool.py --port /dev/tty.usbserial-AH03ILNP --baud 115200 write_flash --flash_freq 80m --flash_mode qio --flash_size 32Mbits 0x0000 "boot_v1.6.bin" 0x1000 espruino_esp8266_user1.bin 0x3FC000 esp_init_data_default.bin 0x3FE000 blank.bin

...but the error I'm getting is;

WARNING: Flash size arguments in megabits like '32m' are deprecated.
    Please use the equivalent size '4MB'.

Sorry guys, I'm a bit lost, can anyone please shed some light? Also is there a better way to do this than the guide shows on espurino.com, from reading around quite a few forums I'm finding it hard to see the forest through all the trees (so many different ways to do this) ?

Most thankful to any help :-)

• I have an older version of esptool which works perfectly. But flasher.js might help you get some firmware onto your board while trying to resolve esptool issues. Don't have a link but Google will.

• You are using the latest version of esptool.py, something like version 2 , check with esptool.py version. There have been some changes from 1.3 to 2.

change --flash_size 32Mbits to --flash_size 4MB

• @Ollie mate you nailed it - using flasher now and works perfectly, no need to screw around with python scripts and outdated args/syntax, just a nice simple UI that works.

I cannot thank you enough for the quick response!

@MaBe Thanks also - so I took a stab and used the following args, but it didn't work because there's a bunch of other stuff probably wrong (such as an old image, etc)...

/Volumes/Data/Development/github/esptool­/esptool.py --port /dev/tty.usbserial-AH03ILNP --baud 115200 write_flash --flash_freq 80m --flash_mode qio --flash_size 4MB 0x0000 "boot_v1.5.bin" 0x1000 espruino_esp8266_user1.bin 0x3FC000 esp_init_data_default.bin 0x3FE000 blank.bin

For now I'll stick with flasher.js - at least this gets your board flashed and running so you can focus on the dozens of other more interesting problems to solve ;-)

Many thanks guys.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

N00b alert : error when flashing using esptool.py

Posted by Avatar for noofny @noofny

Actions