You are reading a single comment by @Ollie and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • @Simon Espruino on ESP8266 is a port. It works very well, but it's not an official board, so it's not a security hole in Espruino as such.

Reflashing over wifi on that port would depend on many factors, but it wouldn't normally give up control of your device.

Wifi settings and program memory persist post-flash. A failed flashing attempt reverts to good binary stored on flash AFAIK.

Whether your stuff works after someone in the know and with access to board successfully flashes your ESP8266 is another matter. A successful flash 'could' leave saved code orphaned if the new Espruino version is different.

Maybe of interest, and you reminded me - the ability to flash over Wifi is disabled on ESP8266-01 - it does not have enough space to keep the good copy should flashing fail. What I don't know is whether flashing the 01 bin to 4Mb board like ESP8266-12 or NodeMCU (because you can) would give you pin availability but disable Wifi Flash.

I have wondered myself, but never asked.

About