You are reading a single comment by @Gordon and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Why does this project need to use eval?

It's because the Web IDE was originally made as a website where each file executed in the same scope, and adds itself to the global 'Espruino' variable - I can't just 'require()' everything as-is. Ideally I'd rewrite every file to handle both loading styles, but I don't have the time to do that while also checking it still works fine as a Chrome App, NWjs app, and on the Espruino website.

As-is it does make debugging extremely frustrating, since the filenames aren't correct :(

Looks to me like connection.write is in serial_nodeserial.js. connection shouldn't be global at all - it looks like you're either:

a) trying to write before you're actually connected
    b) disconnecting before the code has actually been written
    b) somehow managing to have got two separate instances of the EspruinoTools loaded - so one is connected while the other isn't.

There should really be a lot more being written to the console - it might be worth trying to figure out why that's not happening as the extra log messages would probably let you know what's going on.

I still don't understand why you can't just use the existing espruino-cli code though - or at the very least start from that code which does exactly what you want and then strip out the bits you don't want.

About

Avatar for Gordon @Gordon started