You are reading a single comment by @Gordon and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Hi,

I've just made some quite big changes to the Web IDE, and I was wondering if some of you would be willing to test it out for me?

What changed?

A year or so ago, I made Espruino so that if it detected a special character (code 16) right at the start of a line, it'd turn off 'echo' (like the echo(0) commands you often see) - but only for that one command.

I've just modified the Web IDE to use that instead of echo. Now, when uploading, it adds that character to the start of each new command, and also strips out whitespace and comments between commands, which would have been ignored by Espruino anyway.

It should make the uploads much faster and a bit more reliable. It's far less likely you'll get stuck in a mode with echo off, and if you do, a simple Ctrl+C then Enter will get you out of it.

I also had to change the way the terminal receives keypresses, so it can be used on Android devices when used with Web Bluetooth. You shouldn't notice much difference - but it's a big change so I'd like to check I haven't broken anything when working on normal computers.

There's also:

• Just clicking on the terminal is now much less likely to select and copy text (you need to click and drag for >0.2 seconds)
    • Clicking somewhere on a line (or multiple lines) you're editing will now move the cursor to where you clicked
    • Copying from the console will automatically remove the annoying : and > characters from the start of each line.
    • Some extra VT100 commands are supported, so when these go into Espruino it'll be way faster to use the command history, especially over slow links (9600 baud serial, BLE, etc)
    • Fixed a bug in 'projects' that caused modules to upload twice sometimes
    • Fixed some problems where pasting from Google Docs or the Forum would add dodgy characters

How to test

• Download the attached file, and unzip it somewhere
    • Click the Chrome Settings icon -> More Tools -> Extensions
    • Click Developer Mode
    • Click Load Unpacked extension and then choose the zip
    • You should now be able to click Launch. It'll also appear as a normal app (it's got the same icon as the normal Web IDE, but with a green banner saying 'Unpacked'

Or, if you were already using the IDE from GitHub, you can just git pull

Thanks! It'd be a great help to get some testing done on different boards/computers - I'd hate to push an update that might break for some people :)

1 Attachment

About

Avatar for Gordon @Gordon started