You are reading a single comment by @Gordon and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • As I understand it, WiFi is encrypted. WPA2 is pretty good as far as I know, but the old WEP was crackable. Can anyone confirm? I definitely haven't been too concerned about people snooping on my WPA2 WiFi connection.

Even so, the chance of someone being able to find and crack your Wifi in the 60 seconds it's on for while you enter login details seems quite small, even if it were unencrypted. If someone cared that much about it they can still use serial :)

Thanks to @tve's awesome work, this is actually relatively doable right now (I tried at the weekend with a Sonoff and was really impressed with how neat it was).

• Flash totally standard current firmware to ESP8266
    • Start up ESP8266 - it creates its own access point called ESP_XYZX (where XYZX is part of the MAC address I guess)
    • You connect, telnet in, and send the JS commands to connect to a Wifi network and save
    • Disconnect, reconnect over your proper Wifi network just by typing ESP_XYZX as the hostname, and turn off the AP
    • Job done.

All that's missing is the HTTP server. I'd love to use Espruino's built in server (rather than making another) and to push Websockets into C code. It could then serve up the whole Web IDE for really easy programming.

The only real issue there is that the built-in webserver uses JsVars for memory, so it's not totally independent of the code (for instance if it ran out of memory, chances are the web interface would go down).

As a simple hack, how about:

• Out of the box, Espruino on Wifi boards loads up some built-in JS code that starts an HTTP server for setting up Wifi.
    • As soon as new code is saved, that JS code stops being loaded

So now you get to connect with a nice web interface, but the second you've successfully connected with the Web IDE and uploaded code, the HTTP server disappears.

About

Avatar for Gordon @Gordon started