You are reading a single comment by @Kolban and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • I am lucky enough to have received an ESP32 development kit. The ESP32 is a new model of the ESP8266 type device from Espressif ... see:

https://espressif.com/en/products/hardwa­re/esp32/overview

The core differences between it and the ESP8266 are:

• Dual core vs single core (240 MHz vs 160MHz)
    • 520KB ram vs ~80K ram
    • 16MB flash vs ~4MB flash
    • Hall sensor (magnetometer)
    • 32 GPIO including 3 UART, 3 SPI, 2 I2C, 2 I2S, 12 ADC, 2 DAC, PWM .. more
    • WiFi and BLE

It is still very early days in the release cycle of this device.

My question to the community relates to interest, design and execution of a port of Espruino to the ESP32. Ideally, I'd like to think that there would be desire for it. I'd also like to suggest that we make it a community project including design choices, implementation choices, coding tasks and more.

What I'd like to suggest is that if there is interest, we get permission from @Gordon to create a new board in the master Espruino Github (possibly called ESP32) and start building it out from there and using that as the core hub for our work. The most important thing being that any code changes that might be outside of the ESP32 target do not in any way negatively affect the other boards.

My hope is that with so much more RAM available to us, the scope of our JavaScript applications could be so much larger and allow us to take advantage of other functions.

If there is interest, lets see if we can't start communicating with each other to introduce ourselves and start a plan.

I fully realize that the availability of ESP32s is limited right now but a thought I have is that I can take my ESP32 board, a Linux build environment with networking and make that available as a virtual machine. In principle, you should have access to the serial ports etc etc. I'll also set up some WiFi access points for testing with REST servers and web servers (and more as needed). That way you wouldn't have to wait for an ESP32 for yourself and we would have a consistent "ready to code" build environment at our disposal.

About

Avatar for Kolban @Kolban started