• HY boards... they use a special driver for the display that's written in C. It's an awful lot faster too

Makes absolutely sense... and if enough memory is available to save and restore graphics areas fast enough, nice UIs are well possible. I - respectively -my Espruino code puts up with bare metal... for both, display and touch screen, which shows clearly limits to non-native (and serial) implementations.

Above may sound negative... it is not at all... I think the Espruino built-in Graphics library is a excellent piece of work - engineering AND art - because it can handle all kinds of graphic display hardware. It just just hosts the right amount of (middle layer) functionality to enable graphics what ever is used. The code is complemented / completed with the display hardware specific modules to handle display controller specific implementations - like adapters. This is last but not least confirmed by @Gordon's post #7 in this very same conversation. Writing reusable components, which starts with the most difficult part - defining the scope of the module - is a challenge. It is always easy to find a short cut the - at first sight - yields better results, but is just one of a kind implementation... unfortunately with limited resources - cycles and memory - this may become the final particular solution, but moves completely away from being - or becoming - a platform.

About

Avatar for allObjects @allObjects started