Pico as a digital multi-meter?

Posted on
  • Is it possible to read volts, wattage, current and resistance of whatever I'm wanting to read the values from?

• That's a bit of a broad question :)

Most microcontrollers (Espruino included) can only measure analog voltage... So if you want to measure something you'll have to convert it into either a voltage, or interface digitally to a device that will read what you want.

For current, the easy solution is to connect the GND wire of what you're measuring via a resistor (1 ohm? it depends on the amount of current). Then you can measure the voltage on the other side of the resistor and work out current based on that.

For more serious applications, you can get these really neat hall effect current sensors like the ACS712 that convert current into a voltage and isolate as well.

• Hrm, interesting. My question had risen from my curiosity about how vaporizers (ecigs) measure the ohms, wattage and etc of its coils.

• For vapes? Probably just drop across a shunt, measured on the low side.

• @DrAzzy ya, for vapes. I'll have to do a bit more research on this technology. I know (don't remember the source) that someone created a diy vape using an arduino.

• I'm sure plenty of people have - I think that's how the current fancy vapes were probably prototyped ;-)

At it's essence, you're just dumping power into a resistor with a fet, and watching the current through a shunt, and even that's optional.

• Hi there !

I was ( and am still ) looking for the most practical ways to sense voltage, current & wattage, and ended up using the "Power Gauge" from Adafruit ( provides an nice TTL output to read from )
    if it's of any use, I wrote the following Espruino code for it https://github.com/stephaneAG/Espruino_t­ests/blob/master/currentMeasurement/powe­rConsumption.js

While this is nice ( & I still have to code stuff to connect directly to the Power Gauge A0 pin - directly connected to the INA169 "Current Shunt Monitor" ), I'm still looking for alternative ways to doing so, starting with:

Any thoughts ? :)

• @stephaneAG very cool and thank you for your contribution :-) My current project is on hold at the moment, but I will definitely look into using that chip in the near future.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Pico as a digital multi-meter?

Posted by Avatar for d0773d @d0773d

Actions