[Solved]Javascript code not persisting on reboot

Posted on
  • Sorry if I missed instruction/step, but it seems that I have to re-upload my code everytime the ESP8266 is rebooted. Am I missing a step to "flash" the code on top of the firmware?

• Upload the code in the ide.
    Then on the left hand side:

save();

You want want to read up on the

E.onInit( function() {});

If there is code you want to do on start up.

• Regarding starting of your code on power-up, add to you code (in the IDE editor / right page) either

function onInit() {
    }

or

E.on("init", function(){
    });

and then upload the code and finally issue a save(); command in the console (left pane in IDE). For more details, see reference E on event and onInit().

Personally, I prefer the single function onInti(){ ... }, because at development time, I just can either add as very last line in the code for invocation onInit(); which invokes it automatically on (after) every upload, or invoke it manually by entering onInit(); in the console.

Furthermore, E.on("init", function(){ ... }); has major restriction, because sequence is not fully controllable nor the timing:

• If initialization code has to run in a certain sequence - different from loading or appearance sequence of a module (which would contain E.on("init",...); to init itself but with dependencies on other modules), initialization may happen with wrong settings.
    • If initialization is asynchronous / callback oriented (next initialization is required to wait until callback is issued), initialization may happen too early.

To handle configuration, initialization (w/ sequencing/callbacks), and later sequencing / callbacks, I created a gCtl (globalController), with more about the global controller vs. E.on("init",...) and a [Tasker (kind of a Promise] with built-in retry options)[http://forum.espruino.com/conversations/­261352/].

• As the others have said, save() is the key here.

Best to read through the steps on the Quick Start - I know they don't all apply to ESP8266 (there's no 'LED' constant built in) but it doesn't take long and would answer a lot of questions you might have.

• Thank you, everyone!

• BTW, I have since learned, that wifi also has a save, which is smartly independent of the generic save. I recommend to readers to know uses of both:

wifi.save()
    wifi.restore()

reset()
    save()

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About