You are reading a single comment by @Gordon and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • @Snerkle I'm not sure if that's available in the firmware - if it is then yes, that could be an option. Of course I didn't think of that, but Espruino can do software flow control. If that could be turned on in ESP8266 via some AT command then it'd work right now.

@asez73 I'm definitely connecting the power-down pin, which should totally power the ESP8266 down - I'm sure it will still draw some power, but it won't be much. I'll just have to add some functions to allow the user to toggle it, but that should be pretty easy.

@verdeimpacat yes, I'm definitely keeping the pads for the low speed oscillator, and will see if I can fit it in this version. It'd make a big difference.

There's still some work that could be done on the Pico that'd really improve the RTC accuracy though - I'll see if I can get it in soon.

I'm afraid an SMD version is unlikely, because the ESP8266 has to be stuck onto the back of the board. I guess if the PCB was castellated then you could stick it onto a board with a hole milled in it, but I wonder if anyone would actually do that - especially since I don't think you could reflow it or the ESP8266 would fall off the bottom! Since there are no 0.05" pins, you could just fit a socket onto your board though - I'd imagine that'd be ok for small production runs (or soldering directly?).

About

Avatar for Gordon @Gordon started