You are reading a single comment by @ColinP and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • I think you're right in that it is certainly possible to pair with a device and then reconnect to the service without advertising and I notice some Bluetooth devices have a specific "pair" button to initiate this. The Nordic UART app only seems to be able to connect to devices which advertise, so maybe it is best to keep advertising in for now if that is the sort of app that people are likely to use - at least initially until something else is written. Maybe it is a "depends on the use case" decision.

I saw a project: https://github.com/pauloborges/blessed which looks interesting - an open source BTLE stack for nrf51822. It would be interesting to see if the softdevice could be replaced with something simpler to give extra flash and RAM, and could potentially allow the device to talk to nrf24l01 style radios as well (which I think it should be capable of doing). If I have got my head around the acronym-soup that is BTLE the GAP and GATT layers would need implementing to allow something like a UART to work. More studying required...

About

Avatar for ColinP @ColinP started