• Yes, being able to pull in C code would be good.

For me, the problem is the compiler service. I have to run a server with that on, and right now I do it, for free, for any ARM boards. Honestly I don't see any reason I should take on the maintenance headache of supporting other boards though.

... and the reason I don't allow C code right now is it seems like a security nightmare. I'd somehow have to find a way of making sure someone didn't include "/etc/passwd" in their files.

However (and this is something I've been thinking about for a while), why couldn't users spin up their own VM and compile a custom Espruino firmware themselves? For instance Virtual x86, which runs in the browser.

It wouldn't be fast, but I imagine it'd take 10 mins max to compile the Espruino firmware - I'm sure people would be willing to wait.

I'd think that with a relatively small amount of hacking, someone could come up with a webpage that loaded v86 with a Linux image, downloaded the zip of the latest Espruino source code from GitHub, built it, and then let you save the result to a file. Potentially all of that could even be built into the Web IDE at some point.

About

Avatar for Gordon @Gordon started