Esp8266 - power draw Pico?

Posted on
  • So I got a Pico and love the ease of use to get programming.

However I'm having trouble hooking it up to an ESP8266 (I'm using the Adafruit Huzzah breakout https://www.adafruit.com/product/2471 which has some nice convenience stuff). Essentially whenever I connect the ESP8266 to wifi (nodeMCU or AT firmware) it resets.

I'm not even connecting direct to the Pico yet. I've just been using the Pico for power

Looking around for people with similar problems seems to suggest it might be power that's the problem. Any other problems people can think of that could cause this behaviour?

in the long run I want if possible to power directly from the Pico to keep things nice and compact, since ultimately I want to run off a LiPo battery. Since the Pico can do 250mA and that's said to be the max draw from the Adafruit board in theory it's okay - or is it?

Should I be thinking about trying to power via the FET? Or do I definitely need to cater for external power ? Or should the Pico be OK?

I also wondered if the Adafruit maybe took more power than a naked ESP8266 - can people confirm a naked ESP8266 runs well and stably off Pico power with the shim, and anyone got a good recommendation/link for the ESP8266 mini board? I'm willing to go the extra mile with the shim if it means getting to my goal!

• What voltage are you connecting the Huzzah board to? While a normal ESP8266 doesn't have a voltage regulator so needs to run off 3.3v, the Huzzah board has one on-board, so needs a bit more voltage to work. If you connect it to the 5V line of the Pico (the one next to GND) then it should run ok?

The ESP8266 generally runs ok off the Pico with the shim, but it's a bit tight (better with the new Pico 1v4s though). There's room on the shim for a ~47uF surface mount capacitor, and once you add that it works very reliably. If you have issues with the Huzzah you could always add a capacitor too.

• Wow be great if it was as simple as that - will try when I get home. I think I was running it off 3.3. I found the description at http://www.espruino.com/Pico in the Power section a bit confusing, mainly the table that is supposed to help clear things up!
    When's the 1.4 revision out? If I get my PoC working I need to order at least another 4-5...

• Yes - the docs are meant for the basic ESP01 module, so are a bit misleading when talking about the Huzzah one - I'll add a bit of a note about it (to be honest the whole page could do with a bit of a tidy!).

The 1v4 is out now - I think most places that are selling the unpinned board will have them (best to check with them - however the unpinned ones I'm selling on Tindie are definitely 1v4 now). I'm still working through some Pinned stock, so the pinned boards are still 1v3.

• Thanks. Using pinned while still at PoC stage. Will use unpinned in the long run when I'm ready to make some final units.

• So it was that simple. Thanks for the steer. Connected now, although finding working AT firmware was a bit tricky as the Huzzah ships with nodeMCU. I couldn't get the latest Espressif builds to work. In case anyone else has the same problem, I determined that the ESP8266 in the Huzzah is an ES-12 or an ES12-E and the AI-thinker firmware linked to from Electrodragon here worked: http://www.electrodragon.com/w/ESP8266_A­T-command_firmware

I am considering using a stand-alone Huzzah running nodeMCU for the least complex sensors in my network, but that's a bit OT for this forum...

• Actually maybe NOT off-topic - I just saw this thread http://forum.espruino.com/conversations/­266886/?offset=125#comment12565066 I'll definitely give Espruino on ESP8266 a go when I start work on those small sensors.

• Great - glad you got it sorted!

Yes, The ESP8266 port really seems to be coming along well now!

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Esp8266 - power draw Pico?

Posted by Avatar for Moray @Moray

Actions