• @asez73 After studying some of these articles, what I think I am sensing is that this is still a bleeding edge area. There seems to be quite a few different stories ... but at this stage, none of them appear to be overly polished. There doesn't seem to be a recipe (that I have seen yet) that one would just follow to achieve source level debugging that doesn't seem to include "... and start by downloading this GitHub project to a Linux environment and compile it .... ". This is not to short change the efforts that are going on to make all this happen ... it just doesn't appear to be as consumable as I might personally like.

I personally enjoy writing up "how-to" guides ... and would be delighted to write up a recipe in depth ... but that pre-supposes I can learn a recipe to write about :-)

Currently, I seem to have two tracks ... one is QEMU and the other is deeper study of something called Crosstool-NG. Neither of which I know much about yet.

• That's it, and now you know why I did not carried on this way...
    Anyway, as I wrote, you have little or none real solution but what you are already doing for the ESP8266.
    On the STM32, there are much more interesting solutions with openocd and Nucleo's boards.

Now, for the ESP8266, until this summer you could not do any debugging within it, but by inserting prints. Now, with Arduino IDE compatibility and Visualmicro plugin, you could some step by step debugging. The trouble is the requirement to be able to actually build Espruino under Windows.

About

Avatar for asez73 @asez73 started