You are reading a single comment by @tve and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • I'm a bit disappointed by the way the network is hooked in from an event perspective. With the esp8266 each packets gets buffered and copied many times. As far as I can tell, for receive: LwIP buffers the packet, the SDK notices and probably copies it into a buffer of its own (not sure about that), then invokes a callback into user-code (the esp8266 esprunio "driver"), there it's copied into another buffer (required by the callback semantics) and the callback chain is dropped. Later, in the idle loop, espruino discovers "oh, look, there's some data there" and does a recv, which copies the data again, and I believe it's copied yet once more into a JS data structure?
    I may not have all the details right, but is there not a way to queue an event for the "idle loop" instead of having it poll every socket all the time, which is also in the end what requires all the intermediate buffers?
    On the sending side the buffer copying is not much better and the "you can send more" event is similarly dropped and the idle loop rediscovers it.

About