• In the ESP8266 community there are a few open source projects that stand higher than all the others. One of them is "esp8266/Arduino". See:

https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino

This project has enabled the Arduino IDE to be used to build ESP8266 apps and has also implemented the core of the Arduino libraries to run on the ESP8266. The result being that folks who come from the Arduino side of the house for C programming can feel right at home on the ESP8266.

The chap that runs that project is a genius with the handle @igrr.

One of the things he achieved is a "yield" mechanism. This allows code that is being executed as a result of an ESP8266 callback to "yield"control back to ESP8266 and when ESP8266 has finished its housekeeping (presumably very quickly) control returns back to where we yielded from. It is possible that THIS may be exactly what we need.

The problem is that the logic of how this framework works is not clear to me and I have asked the ESP8266/Arduino team to assist. And before anyone says "Why not read the code?" ... this one is written in Xtensa assembly language :-)

I have also asked @igrr for permission to include this fragment in the Espruino/ESP8266 port and he has said yes ... but I'd like @Gordon and @igrr to both be happy with that notion so I'd like to put them in touch with each other ... however ... that shouldn't stop us from investigating that part to see if the technologies are even compatible with each other.

About

Avatar for Kolban @Kolban started