Another quick Pico-based game...

Posted on
  • Awesome! I think I'll teach my youngest brother (11yo) a bit of programming and make this with him the next time I'm home. Classic! :)

• Nice.... and at the same time it could even a musical instrument - could it? (put a frequency to the wire and try some capacitive detection?

• :) Maybe... generally you need a resistor for the capacitive sense though. I need to do some more experiments with that and Espruino.

• Theremin is the term and instrument I had in mind... just could not recall the details right away...

@alexanderbrevig - you may like this... one person - one organ pipe of variable tuning!

• I've already made a theremin once (though using an LED) ;) I posted the library under my AlphaBeta alias over at the Arduino camp some years ago. Not sure it can be found because I deleted a lot of stuff from my wiki at some point...
    It's difficult to play professional theremins, and a dumb implementation with trickery makes for impossible-to-play noise gens.

I had mine skip between notes in a scale (minor, major and pentatonic) then I had a pot I could turn to change between them. That one made it sound OK but was not as fun to play, of course :)

• I had mine skip between notes in a scale

Ahh, an auto-tuned theremin? :)

I think to get proper capacitive sense on Espruino you'd really have to set up the hardware timers. Doing it with software is possible, but probably not very good.

• Spot on (re; autotune)!

It could be a shim as well, that simply feeds back a voltage (or pwm, or freq?) as a function of the cap.sense. Should be doable with a small attiny85 or some such. (Probably way too overkill for the feature though.. my head just started spinning).

Maybe it's a project for showcasing your Dream Protoboard @DrAzzy? ;)

• I've got some tiny85 proto boards being fabbed right now ;)

• get proper capacitive sense on Espruino you'd really have to set up the hardware timers

Some physical/digital hardware and even more so analog stretches my confort zone! So I'm all ear...

After doing some more poking in the Web I found several applications that use light intensity versus RC/LC circuits. RC/LC could still be part in the line before going to analog amp / speaker.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Another quick Pico-based game...

Posted by Avatar for Gordon @Gordon

Actions