You are reading a single comment by @DaveNI and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • I thought it would be fine since the pump is only 100W but I hadn't really considered the impact of an inductive load. The specs for the relay are:

General purpose 2 A, 240 VAC
    Tungsten 1 A, 240 VAC
    Motor 1.60 FLA/8.60 LRA, 240 VAC

I don't understand the FLA/LRA bit at all (I'm sure google knows!)

Maybe I should consider standard relays - I actually thought solid state would be better since the motor may produce arching at the contacts - I'm not sure if standard circulating pumps have snubbers (if that is the correct term).

The idea of using 5v is appreciated - I didn't know that could be done.

I could obviously just try things out and see how it works out but the last thing I want to do is fire up the boiler with no water circulating (I was considering putting a flow switch in so that the boiler would only turn on if water was circulating) but they are difficult to come across/expensive:

http://uk.farnell.com/gentech-internatio­nal/fs-05/flow-switch-brass-ac-10bar/dp/­1006768

EDIT: Just wondering - has anyone bought from China, I've been a bit dubious but are the sellers usually reliable (even if delivery is a bit slow)?

About

Avatar for DaveNI @DaveNI started