You are reading a single comment by @DaveNI and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • I have been really pleased with how much code I can load/run within 48K ram. My current project is getting quite large yet when using minification I still have room for 700 variables.

I would still like to ensure I use as little memory as possible (just in case I hit the limit).

Minification works really well but for those variables that the minifier cannot rename i.e. those that interface with the object (at root level) what length should I try to keep variable names to?

i.e. what are "Short" variable names - I saw this mentioned somewhere but can't find it again?

If I have a module defining an object/class of which there will only ever be one instance, is there any benefit (or overhead!) in having all functions against the objects prototype?

I also tried placing all my main code within onInit(). i.e. instead of:

var aaa, bbb, ccc;

function one(){
    }

function two(){
    }

function three(){
    }

onInit(){
          one();
    }

I used:

onInit(){
          var aaa, bbb, ccc;

function one(){
          }

function two(){
          }

function three(){
          }

one();
    }

This allowed the minifier to rename most of my variables/functions but resulted in more memory being used - why did this happen?

I have read http://www.espruino.com/Internals but not 100% sure about the best approach.

Any other ideas on how to minimise memory usage yet keep my code readable/maintainable would be appreciated.

About

Avatar for DaveNI @DaveNI started