Texas Instruments CC3000 WiFi module problem

Posted on
  • Hi

Sorry to bring concerns about CC3000 WiFi module up again I can see there have been written a bit about problems this module gives.

My (strange) problem is that the module will only work if connecting to my mobilephone that act as a hotspot and will not work with my wifi. Password is correct so no issue there - and distance (module only supports g protocol) is not a problem as I have tryed to connect to wifi and being close to wifi when testing. Is there any way to debug module by means of Espruino or other means?

Thanks

• Is your network WPA2? Presently, there's no way to tell the CC3000 what kind of security to use - it assumes WPA2, and if your network is unsecured, WEP, or WPA. Support for specifying this is planned: https://github.com/espruino/Espruino/iss­ues/407

That's the first thing that popped into my mind, since we know the CC3k is working.

• It is WPA2, I have Just checked. Actually, my router was set to an auto state, so it would choose between WPA/WPA2. Now I have put it to WPA2 so it is always selected, put it still does not work. Is it not possible, through coding, to see errors?

• The module itself doesn't seem to return any useful information over the SPI connection...

Might it be something to do with DHCP? Maybe your home network has a slightly strange IP address range? You could try giving the CC3000 an IP address with .setIP(...).

However, there is a debug port on the module itself - which I believe is a UART that you could connect to with a USB-TTL converter. You could use Espruino itself for it, but I think it would complicate matters.

The best bet might be to check on TI's own forums - they may have some better information.

• Problem solved... it appears that Europe has additional channels to use, and I had selected channel 13 (less used in the neighbourhood ) which is not supported by cc3000. I have now a channel below 11 and it now works.

• I wonder if there's a way to change which country's radio rules it observes when connecting? Surely TI wouldn't kneecap their own chip by only supporting US channels?

On second thought, considering the other issues we've had with it...

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Texas Instruments CC3000 WiFi module problem

Posted by Avatar for Espruino_user_dk @Espruino_user_dk

Actions