You are reading a single comment by @DaveNI and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • @Gordon : I implemented your suggestions at the weekend and am really pleased with the results: Drawing text takes 1/4 of the time taken by the stock ILI9341 module and the colours are now correct - thanks.

I have re-factored my module to make is easier to use but have one question:

Is is possible to get details of the current font from a Graphics object (e.g. is it Bitmap/ Vector/ Custom, vector font size/custom font bitmap etc)? I'm sure this is held within the object but just not surfaced (maybe there a way to access it?).

Without these details I need the user to set the font via a new method: setFont(nameOrSize). This sets the font of the LCD object (using eval to call the setFontNxN() method for custom fonts). I then save the nameOrSize parameter to use when setting the font of my internal buffer Graphics object.

@allObjects : You are 100% correct about memory - even one character in a large font can use a lot of ram. I have taken this into consideration and the connect method now takes an additional parameter: maxBufferSize. If the string requires a buffer larger than this (based on width/height) I draw the characters individually (an individual character can still cause this to be exceeded - if the font is very large).

I will post the code later when fully completed (maybe someone could review the code and if OK add it to the modules library - its a really nice display, just a bit slow at present)

About

Avatar for DaveNI @DaveNI started