GSM Modem

Posted on
  • Hi,
    I would like to connect a SIM card to my espruino and dial it with a BAYES protocol.
    The primary goal is to send/receive SMS messages.
    Can anyone suggest a chipset which would do the job?

• It'd be a great thing to do. I'd be interested in this as well.

I've seen someone use Nokia's FBUS protocol with Espruino to send text messages via old Nokia phones. Sadly that's probably the cheapest way to do it right now.

I haven't tried it personally but can probably dig out the code if you want to give it a try?

• I am quite amazed: the ideal module would be the "GSM2 click", as used by @Hardware_Hacks , but the module costs 45€, more than twice the price of a full-blown gsm phone.

I just fall on this:
    http://hackaday.com/2010/10/18/cheap-and­-easy-sms-via-gsm-for-your-mcu/

It looks possible to do the trick via some USB dongle.
    If anyone already had a success this way, please share!

• @Olivierp funnily enough the click2 is one of the cheaper modules I've seen especially at 3.3v. The official Arduino shield is nearly 3x the price of the click! Crazy prices

• Just taken a look at the link and USB dongles have always been an option but for my projects I was always looking for breadboard friendly and low powered solutions which is why I ended up with the click. However saying that there is nothing stopping you getting a gsm dongle as suggested and soldering in some jumper wires on to the contacts of the USB and then putting these wires into your espruino pins.

One thing to note is pay attention to the current requirements of the module, some require up to 2Amps in bursts which can be a real pain. However most USB modules should be OK due to laptops not being able to output this much from standard USB ports.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

GSM Modem

Posted by Avatar for Olivierp @Olivierp

Actions